Years ago when I first started to change my diet for the better, I decided to experiment with salad recipes, and since my husband really likes steak, I decided to make us a mega steak salad. That’s how this recipe was born; it’s simple, easy and delicious.
As for the name, the inspiration for this recipe came from South America where they arguably make the best steak and usually serve it with avocado on the side. “It’s the stuff of legends”… Legend? South America? Steak? AH BIGNO! Let’s call it after MARADONA! 😀
The steak will be cut in strips, so will make it go further in a party. Would still make a nice vegan option without the steak.
- 400g sirloin steaks, cooked to liking, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp vegetable/rapeseed oil
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped (I sometimes char-grill them)
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 300g rocket, washed and dried (could use a mix of peppery leaves)
- 200g cooked beetroot, chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados, chopped (half an avocado per person)
- 2 limes
- baking tray
- large salad bowl
- salad servers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the baking sheet with foil. Spread half the peppers and tomatoes over the foil and pour over the oil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly charred.
- Apart from the beetroot, mix all the ingredients together in the bowl. Squeeze the limes, season and toss together. Could mix the steak strips now if you so wish. Otherwise you could just serve the steak on the side.
- Lastly, add the beetroot and mix gently to spread but not colour everything too much.