Today I stepped out of the house around 2:30 to go to my usual weekly music lesson and gosh, it was freezing! I hadn’t had lunch, so when I came back, I was starving. Before I left the house, I thought I’ll have some salad or something, but it was so cold that when I got home, all I wanted was a bowl of hot soup to warm me up.
So… I looked in the fridge and made this soup in just over 15 minutes! Here’s how…
NOTE: Suitable for vegetarians.
- 1 large leek, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g broccoli, thick bottom stalks chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 70 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 30 g blue cheese (I used Danish blue)
- 200 g garden peas (I used frozen)
- seasoning: salt, white pepper, red pepper or chili flakes
- 1 tsp crispy onions to serve with each bowl (optional)
- Place a small casserole pan on medium heat. Warm up the oil and add the leeks. Stir occasionally to sweat the leeks in the pan (around 5 minutes).
- Add the broccoli and the stock, bring to simmer, reduce the heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat, add the cheese and whiz with a hand blender to achieve the desired texture. BE CAREFUL not to splash the hot soup during liquidising.
- Put the pot back on medium heat, and add the peas. Cook for around 2 minutes until the peas are warm.
- Season the soup. Pour in a bowl, and sprinkle some crispy onions on the top.
Enjoy the warmth! 🙂